Sunday, 19 July 2015

A record of our Summer holiday 2015

I've decided to keep a record of the Summer of our boys being two and six together. It's going to be a long Summer, apparently 52 days in total. I thought by keeping a record, it would encourage me to be well intentioned in making the days really worthwhile... rather than the days involving Ellis and Ivor watching telly and arguing over the ipad infinitum. So here's what's happened so far:


Ok, so it's day one and Ellis is tired out from it being the end of a long Summer term. He's not yet even six, so today's plan was telly, telly, more telly, ipad, relax, do nothing, drink milk, eat biscuits etc. etc. basically, anything goes. But then, Ivor wanted to go to the park in the afternoon. So we went to the park, and Ellis was very happy to discover some of his friends were there, so then he didn't want to leave until they did. Which was a LONG time! So as we walked home, his legs were too tired for walking so I was then carrying a six year old while trying to supervise a two year old on his scooter. So much for conserving Ellis's energy ready for the long haul!

And why did I decide to make carrot and coriander soup, and courgette fritters, and coleslaw etc. etc. on day one of the holiday. It was all a bit too much, and I decided after that, that there would be no more full-on home made cooking while looking after the kids over the hols. Easy food for easy days.


Ok, so it's day two and Ellis is tired out even more and hasn't really recharged his batteries yet. In fact, he's not well. He has thrush and is doing lots of thumb sucking. And Errol's got a gig to go to today. We hung out at home, very relaxed morning. I took Ivor up the shops on the scooter to get some ham for lunch. We all went to the harbour festival - great parking Errol in the "full" carpark!
Amazingly, we discovered BBC Doctor Who was on, and Ellis got to act the part of a cyberman. He really got into his role, even if it was only one minute long... but it involved a death scene, which he took very seriously. Even his arms were in character! Then, we went to Happy City and drew some pictures. Ellis drew for ages, which was really fulfilling to watch. Ivor was happy drawing scribbles. I was happy drawing too. Then Ellis wanted to go back to Dr. Who land to give them his picture, so we all went back and he gave it to the lady presenter. It was a lovely moment!
We rushed off to Errol's gig, which was in the full on sunshine. So we managed to sit for one song while Ivor tried sitting upside down on his head. Then we left, glad to get home. Away from the crowds and the sun.


I've been reading a lot about decluttering and this is one of the reasons why I have restarted my blog, to keep a record of how things are going with getting rid of stuff alongside how that will, I hope, eventually impact on our lives together as a family, or just impact on me, as I seem to be the manager of all the stuff in the house. The keeper of all things and where they live, and that is hard work!

Anyway, today with the kids... another Harbour Festival day. Today was a really good day. I feel like today the boys had a really good day and that makes me happy. We drove to Queen Square and while Errol set up his kit, I took the boys over to the enormous blow up slide (and baby slide). It was supposed to cost £5 each for ten minutes, but the man let us go in for £4 each and let us stay as long as we liked!... so we were there from the start of Errol setting up his kit until he played his last song. Talk about value for money! Ellis came up to me at the beginning crying saying he was too scared to go down the big slide and could I go down with him. SO I hauled Ivor up to the top of the big slide, honestly, it was so high up... and then Ellis managed to go down with the help of another boy anyway... and so there I was stuck at the top of this huge slide with Ivor throwing a mini tantrum because he wanted to go down the slide his own way i.e. probably head first with arms and legs tumbling all over the place. And me holding onto him saying no, while kids were happily walking past bouncing down this huge slide. To be honest, I was too scared to go down it! So I had to then haul Ivor back down the blow up "stairs", while children were climbing up past me. It was no mean feat. Seriously, my most challenging part of the whole day. But I did it. And I didn't thank goodness drop Ivor!!!

When Errol finished his gig, we had sandwiches, met up with Sarah and her kids for a while then went off hat shopping in the sun. Lifting Ellis up to see the boats as we walked over the bridge. Ivor falling asleep in the rucksack. Errol looking cute in his new cowboy hat. All of us deciding it was time to go escape the hoard. Walking back to the car and coming back to our calm home. Very happy day.

Tomorrow we're off to Oxford. So I haven't done a day on my own with the kids yet. I feel prepared though, which is a nice feeling. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment